The Community by Heidi Visser

The CommunityThe Community by Heidi Visser
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

'The Community' has a very interesting concept. I love how it combines strong female characters with turning an after-collapse dystopian society into a possibly solarpunk heaven, while also exposing that in any society there are and will be problems. It's not the lack of problems that makes a society successful, but the way we as people react to those problems, and the protagonists of this story take these matters into their own hands very well.

It also had some hurdles for me. This mostly has to do with the writing style. It starts with being dunked into an event and not exactly knowing why whatever happens is so important, and then there is quite an info dump weaved into that together with a lot of new characters. It gave me the sense that I might have missed that this was a second book in a series or something like that, and that others might be aware of people's names, levels and everything already. After that the pace got way better though, even if it had its hiccups and sudden POV-changes.

All in all this is the kind of book that might not be perfect, but the story and concept totally make up for that.

I got the chance to read this book through Netgalley.

View all my reviews

Reacties

Populaire posts