Right After the Weather by Carol Anshaw

Right After the WeatherRight After the Weather by Carol Anshaw
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This novel has so many promising things! It is the way they all seem shoved together that made the plot fall flat, and with that the novel not really appealing to read on. I loved parts of it, and still had to struggle to finish it.

The reason it did not become a dnf is mostly the way I could relate to Cate in terms of social awkwardness. Like this quote:
Table manners are just one of a list of small social concerns she should probably have sorted by now, but hasn't. Interrupting is another.
Followed by explaining how she kept over-thinking about what went wrong, and what could go better. I can do that too. I know table manners for instance, but I still am overthinking them every single time. I've always been and still am the silent one, because I cannot figure out how or when to interrupt people without being awkward. I loved this part of Cate!

The realization that it can be privilege that keeps people on the good side of the poverty line, I liked that too.

However, there were the things that were ... not so great too. Like, the ethical creepyness of Maureen was way over the line of being realistic. I mean, certain things might happen, but ... no, just no. And the whole 'Cate was straight, then had a fake straight phase before coming out'? WTF??? Like, being straight or queer is not a phase, you're not straight and then not. One or the other is fake, but it's not first the one, then the other, with a fake period in between.

All in all this has not been the worst book I've ever read, and it certainly had some good things in it. I would not reccomend it though.

Reacties

Populaire posts