Come When I Call You by Shayna Krishnasamy

Come When I Call YouAnna is the good girl, the one who always abides to the rules. However, sometimes she is not - and those occasions always seem to allign with the presence of her cousin Julia, and the presence of ghosts.

With a group read we have been discussing the unreliable narrator, and that spooked through my head while reading this book. As Anna tells us: "Julia cannot lie to me, but she has no problems lying to everyone else'. It is unclear what in this book is a lie, and what actually is the truth. I caught myself wondering, is Julia Anna's cousin, or is she a part of Anna herself? Julia, the little cousin who is connected with some traumatic events ... and her and Anna's ghosts, who could be hauntings of their own emotions, a way to cope with things that otherwise would be way too much to handle for kids or teenage girls. The choppy writing style during some (especially later) parts only makes the uneasy feelings grow. What happened here?

I love books that make me wondering and questioning everything. It leaves a huge lot to the imagination of the reader. Some will love that - I am with that group - and some won't.

Reacties

Populaire posts