The Boy Between: A Mother and Son’s Journey From a World Gone Grey by Josiah Hartley

The Boy Between: A Mother and Son’s Journey From a World Gone GreyThis book tells a story that has to be told. A lot.
I wish it was not as recognisable, but it is. I remember all those times thinking 'I wish it was a broken arm'. When I did break my arm earlier this year and couldn't work for more than a month, it was way easier to call my manager than it would be to take a mental health break because of a depression. I could point at my arm in it's sling, and everyone recognised that I could not move it to unlock my laptop, and I could not hold myself while standing in a moving train with it. I was not asked to pick up even the tiniest of boxes, as Amanda's analogy went. It felt as a relief, for once it was something tangilbe.
I wish I were the only one who will feel both the dreaded sense of familiarity and the feeling of guiltily being ... not happy, but relieved that there are more people like us. I know I'm not, and while I don't wish depression on anyone, it does feel good that there are people who know what it is like.

'The Boy Between' is raw, honest, sad, sprinkled with some tiny specks of hope. I cannot do anything but wish Josh and everyone who loves him will find peace of mind and more and more specks of hope and happiness.

Reacties

Populaire posts