The Voyage of Freydis by Tamara Goranson

The Voyage of FreydisMy rating: 4 of 5 stars

In 'The Voyage of Freydis' we meet our protagonist during a very hard time in her life. She has been recently married, only to find out that her husband is not the nice, brave man he made himself seem to be. Not just that, he beats her, hard. Freydis does what she can to escape his fists, but in a world where wives do not have a lot of rights it is hard.

This story about trauma from abusive relationships is an important story to tell. It is also a brave story to tell. Freydis' behaviour came across as very realistic for the given situation. That also made her not the most likeable of protagonists, which is exactly why I am happy the story is set up this way. Freydis had more important things to worry about than being likeable - like, you know, getting through another day without being beaten to oblivion and without starving to death.

This book was not the easiest historical fiction I have read. I am happy I read it.

I want to thank Netgalley and One More Chapter for the chance to read 'The Voyage of Freydis'.

View all my reviews

Reacties

Populaire posts