Where the Briars Sleep by Emma Beaven

Where the Briars SleepWhere the Briars Sleep by Emma Beaven
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I so wanted to love this book that I feel a bit guilty that I do not like it that much.

Honestly, it had some amazing parts that fulfilled all potential I wanted to see in a gothic horror novel. Psychologically harsh turns, hinting at horrors we can all imagine to be in this era, an unreliable narrator etc.

Balancing that to the other side of 'I don't know ...' are the dragging parts about headaches (hinting at those a couple of times would have given the heebie jeebies, the amount it was allured to now made for a 'not again!'), dressing and clothes without a connection to the wardrobe, and the constant bickering about who gets married first and seeming hate between sisters who were supposed to be close.

In the end it made for a 2 stars, because I cannot say that as it is now I really liked this novel much. It does have some seriously redeeming qualities that could have made it good though.

Thanks to Netgalley and Tangled Tree Publishing for the opportunity to read this book.

View all my reviews

Reacties

Populaire posts